Skip to main content

Nigeria

Nigeria (/nˈɪəriə/ (About this soundlisten)), officially theFederal Republic of Nigeria, is a federal republic in West Africa, bordering Niger in the north, Chad in the northeast, Cameroon in the east, and Benin in the west. Its coast in the south is located on the Gulf of Guinea in theAtlantic Ocean. The federation comprises 36 states and 1 Federal Capital Territory, where the capitalAbuja, is located. The constitutiondefines Nigeria as a democratic secular country.[6]
Federal Republic of Nigeria

  • Jamhuriyar Taraiyar Nijeriya  (Hausa)
  • Ọ̀hàńjíkọ̀ Ọ̀hànézè Naìjíríyà  (Igbo)
  • Orílẹ̀-èdè Olómìniira Àpapọ̀ Nàìjíríà  (Yoruba)
Motto: "Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress"
Nigeria (orthographic projection).svg
CapitalAbuja
9°4′N 7°29′E
Largest cityLagos
6°27′N 3°23′E
Official languagesEnglish
Major languages
Other languages[1]
Religion
See Religion in Nigeria
Demonym(s)Nigerian
GovernmentFederal presidentialrepublic
• President
Muhammadu Buhari
Yemi Osinbajo
Bukola Saraki
Yakubu Dogara
Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad (Acting)
LegislatureNational Assembly
Senate
House of Representatives
Independence
from the United Kingdom
• Unification ofSouthern andNorthern Nigeria
1914
• Declared and recognised
1 October 1960
• Republic declared
1 October 1963
29 May 1999
Area
• Total
923,768 km2(356,669 sq mi) (32nd)
• Water (%)
1.4
Population
• 2019 estimate
200,962,417[2] (7th)
• 2006 census
140,431,790
• Density
215/km2 (556.8/sq mi) (65th)
GDP (PPP)2019 estimate
• Total
$1.221 trillion[3] (23rd)
• Per capita
$6,130 (129th)
GDP (nominal)2019 estimate
• Total
$447.013 billion[3](31st)
• Per capita
$2,244 (137th)
Gini (2010)Positive decrease 43.0[4]
medium
HDI (2017)Increase 0.532[5]
low · 157th
CurrencyNaira (₦) (NGN)
Time zoneUTC+01:00 (WAT)
Driving sideright
Calling code+234
ISO 3166 codeNG
Internet TLD.ng
Nigeria has been home to a number of ancient and indigenous kingdoms and states over the millennia. The modern state originated fromBritish colonial rule beginning in the 19th century, and took its present territorial shape with the merging of the Southern Nigeria Protectorate and Northern Nigeria Protectorate in 1914. The British set up administrative and legal structures while practising indirect rule through traditionalchiefdoms. Nigeria became a formally independent federation in 1960. It experienced a civil war from 1967 to 1970. It thereafter alternated between democratically elected civilian governments and military dictatorships until it achieved a stable democracy in 1999, with the 2011 presidential election considered the first to be reasonably free and fair.[7]
Nigeria is often referred to as the "Giant of Africa", owing to its large population and economy.[8] With 186 million inhabitants, Nigeria is the most populous country in Africaand the seventh most populous country in the world. Nigeria has the third-largest youth population in the world, after India and China, with more than 90 million of its population under age 18.[9][10] The country is viewed as amultinational state as it is inhabited by 250 ethnic groups,[11] of which the three largest are the HausaIgbo and Yoruba; these ethnic groups speak over 250 different languages and are identified with a wide variety of cultures.[11][12] The official language isEnglish. Nigeria is divided roughly in half between Christians, who live mostly in the southern part of the country, and Muslims, who live mostly in the north. A minority of the population practice religions indigenous to Nigeria, such as those native to the Igbo andYoruba ethnicities.
Nigeria is the world's 20th largest economy as of 2015, worth more than $500 billion and $1 trillion in terms of nominal GDP andpurchasing power parity respectively. It overtook South Africa to become Africa's largest economy in 2014.[13][14] The 2013debt-to-GDP ratio was 11 percent.[15] Nigeria is considered to be an emerging market by the World Bank;[16] it has been identified as aregional power on the African continent,[17][18][19] a middle power in international affairs,[20][21][22][23] and has also been identified as an emerging global power.[24][25][26] However, it currently has a "low" Human Development Index, ranking 152nd in the world. Nigeria is a member of theMINT group of countries, which are widely seen as the globe's next "BRIC-like" economies. It is also listed among the "Next Eleven" economies set to become among the biggest in the world. Nigeria is a founding member of the African Union and a member of many other international organizations, including the United Nations, theCommonwealth of Nations and OPEC.




Information source: Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to my future wife

To my future wife I found myself thinking about you today. Wondering where you are, what you’re thinking and doing at the moment. Are you Adumadan or Aponbepore? Or the mixture of both? Just want you to know that I'm waiting to know you. I promised to raise my hand amidst the cloud, I promised to blink my eyes out of every shadow of fears, Once I noticed it was you, I have seen the light,  Don't be surprised if I mentioned your name and I know the line on your face So, I may call you by your tribe. I surely know the color of your eyes. But till then, Stay wherever you are and be with me, keep yourself just the same way am keeping myself for you. For I'm still waiting, Waiting for the queen that will sit beside me forever, till death do us...  Waiting for the bone..... and flesh of my flesh Waiting to see we two as one My dear I have kept myself safe in His arm, Cus I know the Earth is not safe for the heart, Though, some years back I was a captive of a large audience, but n

3 EASY WAYS TO EARN ONLINE

1.Write and Get Paid Do you want to earn money online? A website was built on the efforts of readers just like you. Readers who didn’t have any experience as writers but decided to put a list together and send it in. So here is the deal: You will be payed for your efforts. You don’t need to be an expert—you just need to have English equal to that of a native speaker, a sense of humor, and a love for things unusual or interesting. Join You do not need to have any relevant experience or hold any particular qualifications, but you do need to: Possess excellent creativity Have a keen eye for detail Show a passion for content creation Stay on top of trends Create To help you out with some ideas, the lists that our readers love the most (and the ones we will most likely pay for) are lists that are offbeat and novel—lists that are looking at something normal in an unexpected way (ways college makes you dumb, for example), unsolved mysteries, hidden knowledge (things

Just to say thank you

Just to say thank you I know I'm not perfect But you love me anyway You accept every piece and bit And make me smile everyday You picked me up from the mouldy pit, You blessed me abundantly telling me that's just a bit. Thanks for the fear, Thanks for the tears, Thank you so much, many lost years. Thanks to the moon, And thanks to the sun, Thanks for the threats  and lessons of life, Thanks for causing so much strife. I wanted so much to say, For all the dept if I'm to pay. And in all the puzzle if I'm to play But lastly, For the love and for the care, For the peace of mind I have received, I will not but thank you for taking my life.